Local Wallpapers - subfolders

Talk about anything at all related to the app
TheTomCZ

Local Wallpapers - subfolders

Post by TheTomCZ »

Hi!

Your app is working great, but I miss one single feature.
I have so many wallpapers on HDD, I had to sort them into multilevel subfolders, and your app cannot handle all of them together.
Can you please add option to "include subfolders", when crawling local folder for wallpapers?
I will donate, if you add it :-)

Thanks in advance ;)
sumo
Site Admin

Re: Local Wallpapers - subfolders

Post by sumo »

I will look into it as soon as I can.

I have considered this many times, I recall it being problematic since the volume of images can be substantial.
TheTomCZ

Post by TheTomCZ »

sumo wrote:I will look into it as soon as I can.

I have considered this many times, I recall it being problematic since the volume of images can be substantial.
Maybe you can limit the number of images? ie. when the crawler finds the 100th image, it will stop.
This number could be user-editable, preset with some low value - and people like me, with 300+ wallpapers, will raise it a bit :-)

Or hard preset to number like 1000 should be sufficient for everyone...
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

OK I have added a setting to control whether the crawler looks in sub-folders recursively,

After the crawler has discovered all the images, it will sort them by date, newest first then take the first 100 images and cache them up.

I could add options to control the limits and perhaps the sorting algorithm used.

I have published the simple solution already so remember to update, and let me know.
TheTomCZ

Post by TheTomCZ »

Well, after update, I keep getting error messages "Preparing the wallpaper errored", ending with something about subprocess. However, everything then works fine.

And, more importantly, when using individual wallpaper for each monitor, only one of them (the selected one) keeps auto changing, the other one stands still... Then I just click (select) the other one in "Wallpaper" tab, and this one starts changing (and the other stops), I don't need to change any settings.
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

The error your getting is usually due to very large images or simply a result of having a low amount of ram.
It can also be provoked by using too many filters and stuff, there info in the FAQ.

As for the auto-cycle with individual wallpaper, that's largely unsupported at the moment.

I never really use the individual wallpaper mode since its well supported in other applications, and the whole point of this app is to use super high-res images across many displays!

Not only this but cycling of images was generally an after-thought as well and has its own complexities, such as this behavior.

If you can well describe what it should do with the auto-cycle and individual wallpaper, then perhaps i will include it soon.
TheTomCZ

Post by TheTomCZ »

My two monitors have different resolutions, so single large wallpaper looks terrible for me... In future, I will get two of the same monitors, so I will definitely try it, but for now, I'm stuck with individual wallpapers.

I have tried many other apps, but I have not found any free app to change individual wallpapers for two monitors, that's why I'm trying your solution :-)

What I need:
I want the app to select random wallpaper for one screen and then other random wallpaper for second screen. And repeat every few minutes.

In current version, I can do it for one screen - auto-cycle works just fine and select new random wallpaper every few minutes, but only for currently selected screen, the other screen does not change. So basically I just need the app to do the same for the second screen.
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

It is done. :D

However; it involved a lot of radical changes, so it may be slightly unstable, seems to work well for me though.

Please give it a go and let me know.
TheTomCZ

Post by TheTomCZ »

sumo wrote:It is done. :D

However; it involved a lot of radical changes, so it may be slightly unstable, seems to work well for me though.

Please give it a go and let me know.
Cool, so fast :-)

Seems to work just fine, thanks a lot! Sending few dollars :-)
rawbits

Post by rawbits »

Hi!

Is it just me or the current version can't handle more then 25 local images in the crawler? I didn't find any reference stating this and you mentioned 100 above here. Although I can not see why is the limitation. You should be able to index thousands of images in no time so you could do it even on every start to find new ones.

Btw, very cool tool you've made. Thanks!