Setting up automatic cycling

Talk about anything at all related to the app
2Hectic

Setting up automatic cycling

Post by 2Hectic »

Hello.

First, my compliments on your program. This piece is a great idea and works very well.

However,I am unable to figure out how to configure MultiWall to automatically cycle through either a local folder of pictures or a web feed.

Would anyone be so kind as to explain how to do this to me?

Thanks.
sumo
Site Admin

Re: Setting up automatic cycling

Post by sumo »

Hi and welcome

Currently the auto-cycle is only supported for web.
This could be extended for local disk too, I will take a look.

That said, it should be working for web:

Instructions:
1. Click the 'Crawler' tab of the application.
2. Browse to a location (local disk, url, feed, or drag & drop)
3. Click the Crawl button.
3. When at least one image is found, the auto cycle button is then enabled.
4. Click the auto cycle button when it is available.
5. Select the appropriate interval for wallpaper changes from the popup and OK the window.

Wallpaper should now change using the selected feed and delay.

Let me know if you are still having trouble, I will be glad to help.

Update:
There was a bug which causes the auto-cycle to stop when the application is minimized.
A fix was released.
I apologize for that, I gave you disk crawling as compensation :P
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

To follow up,

I have release version 1.0.13 which includes the fix, and also now supports disk crawling.

There may still be some teething issues, please give it a go and let me know.
2Hectic

Post by 2Hectic »

Fantastic!

Unfortunately, I had to send my motherboard away for repairs before I was able to run your latest version. I'll post feedback here as soon as my rig is back up and running.

Thank You!
nubcakes

Post by nubcakes »

Firstly, thanks so much for this program. It's making my computing experience MUCH more enjoyable :)

I'm currently trying to make the application cycle through several local images on a 1 minute cycle time using the crawler, but it doesn't appear to be working; the desktop image never changes.

The images are all in the same folder. I browse to that folder, then click the Crawl button that looks like an image of the globe. The application finds all 18 of my images, and the "Turn ON Auto Cycle" button becomes available. I click it, select a 1 minute cycle interval, then wait... and nothing happens.

Could it be the case that the program is navigating to the folder correctly, but, because the images in my local folder never change order, Crawler is selecting the same picture to display every cycle interval?

Thanks in advance for your help
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

Yes indeed; for a local crawl to work, one would have to define the order to pick an image.

The Autocycle setting was always really intended for web.

For a local implementation a shuffle/random order might make sense. At the moment it is likely picking the first or last item from the list.

If you are having trouble getting the Auto-cycle to change the wallpaper at all;
Make sure the Auto-apply checkbox is checked to ensure that when the wallpaper is picked randomly that it is applied automatically.
It should do this for you when using the Auto-cycle feature though.
nubcakes

Post by nubcakes »

Right, as you said, in order to enable the auto-cycle, auto-apply is automatically turned on. Yet, a wallpaper isn't chosen randomly; it seems like the same wallpaper is always chosen :/

EDIT: Scratch that. Currently I have a background that came pre-loaded with the MultiWall application displayed on my desktop. That image is not saved in my local directory. Yet, when I begin the auto-cycle, the desktop background never changes. The auto-cycle isn't... doing anything :/ :/
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

There will be an update soon, please hang in there i haven't forgotten about you
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

Could you please update your Multiwall and let me know if you still have issues.
nubcakes

Post by nubcakes »

Holy jumpin! It seems to be working :) it's crawling through my folder of 18 pictures and cycling the background every minute! It's even extending the image across both of my screens as it crawls. This is absolutely awesome, man. Thank you so much. When my school sends me my refund check for this semester, i'll be sure to donate. Definitely worth a couple dollars :)