Setting up automatic cycling

Talk about anything at all related to the app
ZipZap

Re: Setting up automatic cycling

Post by ZipZap »

I am running Windows 7 Premium Home 64 bit.

I have not been able to get the cycling to work. I have installed the latest version of multiwall.

The images in my local folder do not display in the screen area and dont cycle.

One time the text in the cycle on/off button indicated a 1s cycle which is not even an option.

So this is not fully working.

Please take a look....thanks
ZipZap

Post by ZipZap »

BTW...the run at startup checkbox does not stay checked between runs.
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

Thanks for reporting those issues.

I will look into them as soon as possible.
jeffwiatt

Post by jeffwiatt »

Wow! I love this program. The spanning of multiple windows is awesome. I do have one small problem though. The auto cycle crawling a local drive seems to have some issues. It seems it is working but not at the interval I have selected. I'm not sure what interval it is using. I have it set for 1 minute but I can sit her for over 5 and it is not changing but it does change, usually when I am not at my computer. I will come back after some time and there will be a new wallpaper. I haven't set around long enough to know if it is just cycling two wallpapers though. I have usually forced a change when playing with settings. One other thing that might help, in the crawler section after I browse for the directory and turn on auto cycle it attempts to count through the images and I am only seeing it go up to 2 of 2 so it may just be cycling through two of them. I have random selected although I just tried newest and same result. No change after one minute. I am using Windows 7 SP1 32bit.
reaper527

Post by reaper527 »

i'm having the same problem as jeff. win7, 64 bit.

i pointed the program towards my wallpaper folder, hit the crawl button (it selected a background from the folder randomly) turned on autocycle with a 1 minute interval, it changed the image, but then wouldn't change again.

if i hit the crawl button, that will always change my image (and i have yet to see the crawl button choose the same image 2 times in a row). i haven't had the program installed long enough to see if it does change at some arbitrary interval like jeff said, but if thats the case it's almost as if the time interval dropdown isn't being read properly and it is cycling on some default value.

i had been cycling win the built in windows7 desktop shuffle on a folder of single screen wallpapers, however that doesn't support wide backgrounds spanning 2 monitors (it just take the image, stretches/centers it, and renders the same thing on both monitors).

is there a setting that i'm missing or is this a bug?
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

I'm guessing its a bug, will take a look.
Mule

Post by Mule »

I was having the same issue with windows 7 x64

I fixed it by:
close multiwall and make sure task is ended
going to the normal windows wallpaper section in personalise
change it to a different folder (i.e. windows wallpapers) and apply
make sure you close that window after it's changed
go to multiwall
set crawler folder and apply
set auto apply to on and re apply
wait and see if the magic happens

I haven't rebooted since then so I'm not sure if it'll last till post boot
susandennis

Post by susandennis »

I am having trouble setting up this automatic cycling. I'm sure it's operator error but I'm hoping someone can give this operator some clues. I've read through this thread and tried all the tricks.

I am running Windows 7 x64 with two monitors.

I cannot get any autocycling - using the web or locally.

When I go to the web tab, I see a black screen. If I select one of the options - like a Reddit one or a Microsoft one - my background changes and I see, for a second, a faint spinning thingie in the black screen and briefly a 1of1 in the top left corner or and a url in the bottom right but always the screen is black.

If I use a different URL - like http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=dual%20wallpapers, I get the spinner but nothing else - no image, no background change, nothing.

And while the Auto Cycle timer is ticking down, but when it gets to the desired changing time, nothing changes except the timer which resets. The background remains the same.

What in the heck am I doing wrong?
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

Hey guys,

I gave it a go myself, I had a similar problem with the web crawler, it appears there might be a bug where it doesn't crawl the web properly for the auto-cycle.

However, it seems the local crawler is working..

The general idea is you select a folder or website. Then the auto-cycle option will be enabled. Turning it on will then setup a timer to that will pretty much automatically crawl and apply the wallpaper (using the auto-apply).

I noticed one situation where it wasn't working through but auto-apply wasn't on... (it should be turning on by default though).

I will take a look now, and see if I can resolve any obvious bug.

Regarding the spinner and nothing else, that is likely due to the crawler being unable to find images at that url.. some website use trickery (like css or javascript) to display their images to prevent people scraping or copying their images, flickr is a good example of such a website. Though technically if there are popular sites that we would like to support scraping for let me know and I can add some custom handling, we already do this for a couple of common sites.

Update 1: I can confirm there is some bug where auto apply isnt automatically set upon turning on autocycle the first time, a possible work around for now is to turn on auto apply and then the app should behave properly..

Update 2: Fixed in MultiWall-1.0.21 Please give it a try.

Update 3: Fixed more auto-cycle issues in MultiWall-1.0.24 and a bunch of other things, definitely try it if your having auto-cycle problems, it should now automatically start properly, and is more aggressive with displaying time remaining, there were also some issues with the timer getting stuck sometimes which should now be resolved.

Update 4: Tried testing the flickr website, it appears they are doing something to prevent the app from crawling making the processing time infinite. Will require some thinking.
Manji

Post by Manji »

Okay, maybe I am just doing this super wrong, who knows.

So, I downloaded the program, love it by the way, but I can't seem to get it to work the way I want. What I want is for the wallpapers to change by new posts on /r/wallpapers, every hour.

This is what I've done:

* On the wallpaper screen, put http://www.reddit.com/r/wallpaper+wallpapers/?limit=100 in the search box. wallpapers come up, no problem.
*same url in the crawler box
*auto cycle set at 1hr
*auto apply on
*run at start up on (though this seems to get unchecked?)

I can get the wallpapers fine. But after an hour...nothing happens. Let it run overnight, still the same wallpapers.