Feature request: Animated GIF support!

Talk about anything at all related to the app
CthulhuSaves

Feature request: Animated GIF support!

Post by CthulhuSaves »

Hiya,

For some reason this feature is fairly rare, and everyone just tries to talk you out of wanting it whenever you mention it, but I see animated GIFs all the time that I'd kill to set as wallpaper. It's been done before, but nothing still on the market supports the format (even Windows used to support this), and the only alternatives are to convert them to [not so] little videos and use those, which just plain sucks. If it's at all possible to add this feature, man, that would be incredibly cool.

Here are a couple of examples:

:)
sumo
Site Admin

Re: Feature request: Animated GIF support!

Post by sumo »

Indeed, I love GIF's as well, but its always tricky business as you rightly point out.

I think its not inherently supported as most of the processes that images go through are single frame, if each frame in the image was processed and kept like that though the whole process it could be supported (but also make everything even more slow, might be time for GPU render!).

The other issue is at the moment the final image is a BMP that is then passed to windows (which expects a BMP). BMP's don't have animation support, but if we could 'fool' it into taking a GIF, this could be possible!

The final image would be a rearranged GIF thats animating, pretty incredible!.

Whilst fun to think about, its a long shot but i'll work towards it.

Also thanks for the samples, they'll be useful.
Anali579

Re: Feature request: Animated GIF support!

Post by Anali579 »

I so agree with you.That was a great thread.