Memory Limit

Talk about anything at all related to the app
BishopDMoon

Memory Limit

Post by BishopDMoon »

Hey,
First off, thank you for this utility, been trying to find something light and easy to use like this for a while.

I get a memory error every time MultiWall starts up and had my suspicions confirmed from reading the support page that I have too many images. My question: what's the average amount of images this can handle? I have upwards of 3k wallpapers and would very much like to use them all but even when testing with <100 it still mem errors. It's nice that it'll still start and use a smaller section of the wallpapers but the selection is very limited :/ Advice is appreciated!
sumo
Site Admin

Re: Memory Limit

Post by sumo »

I'm assuming here you mean the crawler and not applying wallpaper or browsing the community feeds.

The '100 images' limits are generally on the crawler and not on anything else. ie. the app will only crawl 100 worth of images, it may be sorting by date before filtering it down though, so newer images are preferred.

Memory errors on startup are likely due to applying or even previewing a very large image as wallpaper, the app does not limit here, the app is intended to be able to deal with very large images up to whatever your RAM will take.

I am considering moving processing to the server so that images can be processed by a machine with more memory than clients have so that we could even deal with massive massive images that may appear on 4k setups :P

If you can tell me more about what your doing exactly, I can try to advise, but I think there is not much you can do.
sumo
Site Admin

Re: Memory Limit

Post by sumo »

Just an update:

I have removed the limits and released a 64bit version to address some of these issues. (build 24+).

You can still apply the limit if you want by editing your profile.json, otherwise it will be unlimited.

It appears the app will struggle with images above say 20k x 20k, mostly due to memory, not sure why though.

The crawler also is skipping any images that are considered thumbnails, that is; small in resolution.