How do I turn off Update Check???

Talk about anything at all related to the app
GooberGrape

How do I turn off Update Check???

Post by GooberGrape »

Multiwall works just fine for me. I do not want to update it any more. How do I get the update requester to stop asking me to update? Every time it pops up I select 'No' but it continues to ask on a regular basis. This is very annoying and interrupts my work at times with the popup.

Also, and less importantly, is there a way to get it to apply the wallpapers to a fifth monitor? I have been using four but recently had a fifth added which is a laptop (Windows 10).
sumo
Site Admin

Re: How do I turn off Update Check???

Post by sumo »

When it tries to update: Un-tick "Check for updates", and only then click "No Thanks".

It shouldn't check after that, otherwise there might be a bug.

If you change your mind and want to update, you can right click the tray icon and hit "Check for updates".

As for the the 5 screens, I can't recall testing more than 4 screens myself, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't support as many that windows would throw at it. If you are using a separate computer like a laptop as an extra screen, it wouldn't directly support that sort of thing yet, but you could trick the program into supporting it by editing the layout file manually and adding your extra layouts then it will generate wallpaper for any custom layout, of course this is pretty manual and you still need to manually set the laptop's wallpaper accordingly.

I can think of some cool solutions to support this sort of thing though.
GooberGrape

Post by GooberGrape »

I have version 1.0.36. The check for updates box is already unchecked. I have attached a screenshot. Is there a way to manually edit a config file or registry setting to turn it off?

Also, yes the fifth monitor is a laptop. All five monitors are getting the video out from the laptop. The fifth screen that is not updating is the laptop screen. All of the other four monitors change backgrounds every two minutes but the laptop one remains black. I have 439 images in my pics folder, is there an upper limit to the images that can be selected from?

Can you post what manual changes I would need to do to try to trick it into using the fifth monitor?
Attachments
Multiwall.jpg
Multiwall.jpg (134.64 KiB) Viewed 15882 times
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

Thanks for the additional info.

I have added a fix to hopefully prevent updates routines from running if you have updates turned off. You will see that in the next update once I release it.

There is a config file for both the updates option and monitor layout.
The update setting in the config should be working fine.

As for the monitor layout, could you perhaps share a screenshot of your monitor layout for windows and what Multiwall is showing for the layout as well as the config?
You can find instructions here for the custom layouts as quoted below.

I am curious however as to why the app isn't handling it well already, so a forced layout is of course a less than desirable solution.
My screen layout is wrong!
If for some reason your screen layout is just not matching your real setup. Then there is something you can do.
Firstly you should exit the application.
Navigate to "%appdata%/MultiWall/"
Edit the file "profile.json" with your favourite editor.
Locate and replace where it says "OverrideLayout":false" with "OverrideLayout":true"
Now the application will stop generating the file "layout.json" and you may edit it as you wish.

In this file each monitor appears as follows:

{"X":0,"Y":0,"Width":2560,"Height":1600,"DeviceName":"\\\\.\\DISPLAY1","Primary":true,"Bounds":"0, 0, 2560, 1600"}
X is the X offset of the screen relative to the primary screen
Y is the Y offset of the screen relative to the primary screen
Width is the X resolution of the screen
Height is the Y resolution of the screen
DeviceName and Primary should be left alone.
Bounds should be left alone.
My Layout.json for 3 screens looks like this:

Code: Select all

[  
   {  
      "X":3840,
      "Y":-406,
      "Width":1600,
      "Height":2560,
      "DeviceName":"\\\\.\\DISPLAY3",
      "Primary":false,
      "Bounds":"3840, -406, 1600, 2560"
   },
   {  
      "X":-1920,
      "Y":440,
      "Width":1920,
      "Height":1200,
      "DeviceName":"\\\\.\\DISPLAY4",
      "Primary":false,
      "Bounds":"-1920, 440, 1920, 1200"
   },
   {  
      "X":0,
      "Y":0,
      "Width":3840,
      "Height":2160,
      "DeviceName":"\\\\.\\DISPLAY2",
      "Primary":true,
      "Bounds":"0, 0, 3840, 2160"
   }
]
Update: I have released 1.0.37 with the fix for updates, please update. I suppose you will only be able to tell if it works if there is a another new update unless you edit the config yourself.