High memory consumption

Report or discuss any bugs that you might encounter
VADemon

High memory consumption

Post by VADemon »

I came across your tool as I wanted to (finally) have proper wallpapers on my desktop since Windows' wallpapers suck (not only single monitor but also poor randomization). Your tool is working like a charm so far and the UI is looking good. But... the memory consumption is disappointing.

I could understand if it were for the first time when I had the GUI on, had to set it up etc. However, even when I manually start the programm with "MultiWall.exe -hide" it still uses about the same amount of memory. How much? 150MB. IMHO, it's too much for a plain wallpaper tool. Do you have any plans on reducing memory usage?

MultiWall-1.0.26-64bit
1) 1920x1080
2) 1280x1024
3) 1366x768

By the way, the installer is 32-bit thus defaulting the instalation folder to "Program Files (x86)"
Attachments
Screenshot
Screenshot
2015.03.06_01-09-59__procexp64.png (2.14 KiB) Viewed 33831 times
sumo
Site Admin

Re: High memory consumption

Post by sumo »

Yes I agree.

It started off as a pet project for my own use, and could prototype it very quickly in .NET which is likely why it uses quite a lot of ram just to exist.

I think most of us using this tool have high-end machines and don't need to conserve ram.

So definitive answer is, sorry no plan to reduce memory usage, unless you think that I can get it down significantly even with .NET.

As for the 64/32bit thing, I believe it is always 32bit anyway so I am reverting everything back to just 32bit support for now to avoid confusion.
VADemon

Post by VADemon »

I have read a few articles on .NET's and Windows' memory management after your answer, in short: these 150-160 MB reported by Process Explorer are a bit too high, because a portion of is shared memory with 40 MB that are reused from another process. That's good.

Speaking of high-end machines, you guessed it right, yet I dislike the trend. Not that it's something really awful, but my "idle" state (browser, irc, steam etc.) is at ca. 4.2 GB RAM.

The idea from the original post was to not load the GUI and other not required elements when MultiWall has been started with the -hide (background) parameter.
In theory it can be two separate applications GUI + CLI that is responsible for changing wallpapers etc. but that's too much to ask for.
BrockT

Post by BrockT »

VADeemon wrote:I have read a few articles on pre workouts that work and Windows' memory management after your answer, in short: these 150-160 MB reported by Process Explorer are a bit too high, a portion of is shared memory with 40 MB that are reused from another process. That's good.

Speaking of high-end machines, you guessed it right, yet I dislike the trend. Not that it's something really awful, but my "idle" state (browser, irc, steam etc.) is at ca. 4.2 GB RAM.
You could upgrade your memory. That's what I did and it runs fine.
Last edited by BrockT on Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

Its not too much to ask for, it would benefit every user I think.

Its probably about time to rewrite it and refresh it a bit, I'm sure a lot has changed and my development skills have leveled up and you'd hope the frameworks would have improved too :D