blank crawler

Report or discuss any bugs that you might encounter
jtn3833

blank crawler

Post by jtn3833 »

love this program, seems like exactly what i'm looking for except for a problem i'm having with the crawler.

the preview section of the crawler is always blank. i'll select 'random' from the 'multiwall' option and the rotating loading icon appears and stays on. when i select a local folder my wallpaper will change immediately but nothing will appear in the preview area and the the wallpapers don't cycle when cycle is set. the preview seems to work fine in the 'wallpaper' tab, but i get nothing in the 'crawler' tab.

i've un/ reinstalled a few times but have the same problem.

i'm running win7 64bit with two acer monitors.

would really like to make use of this, any help would be great.

thanks.
jtn
kaedee

Re: blank crawler

Post by kaedee »

Hi All,

I too am having this issue with the blank crawler, but it seems only when I have the AutoCycle turned on (or activated); pressing Apply does nothing even though it looks like it is processing something (busy icon spins). When the AutoCycle is off the images load in the crawler and I am able to apply the selected wallpaper.

I love this little app and all of the wonderful images that it provides. I have 2 monitors and this is a godsend.

kd
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

Hey guys,

I have never experienced the issue you guys are facing, I can only guess that maybe the images are taking a longer than expected time to load... Or maybe the url's are blocked for whatever reason...

I am running win7 x64 as well, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I think maybe you need to turn off auto-cycle when using the crawler to browse.
Sumarianhaze

Re: blank crawler Auto cycle not working

Post by Sumarianhaze »

Hi

I run Win7 x64, and have had this same issue for as long as I can remeber, certainly the last three updates at least, including the latest one uploaded today. Nothing to do with url as I point at a folder on a HDD in my PC.

I do get the images back by turning off auto cycle and clicking the world icon at the end of the address bar, this has allowed me to confirm another bug that only a limited number of pictures are cycled (67 out of 220). I'd suspected this for sometime but couldn't pin it down, looking at the 67 Multiwall has selected there is no obvious logic to it's the choice it's made.
It's not sub folders either (count increases to 68 out of 230). Multiwall is on a my c drive, pictures are on a different physical drive.

Auto cycle is not working either, select any time period & shuffle and the only time it cahnges the image is on a system restart.

Off topic but annoying, why does the desktop incon point at the run command for multiwall ? as I think you'll find most users run at start up so this is pointless, it would be far more useful / useable if it started the multiwall control panel that you have to RMC in the system tray to open. Adding an entry for this in the start menu pull down would be helpful. :)
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

Interesting...

Perhaps the crawler is getting stuck on one of your files?
Upload them somewhere if you can?

If your having problems with the cycle on multiwall urls then i might need more clues in order to fix it.

Regarding the icon i'll see what I can do, thats a great suggestion.
Sumarianhaze

Post by Sumarianhaze »

Hi Sumo

I made a new folder and copied pictures over to it filtering out pictures that did not register in Crawler checking the number in the folder and the number in crawler matched.

I noted some pictures just don't register and some cause the count to go down ie 80 in folder = 80 in crawler, 81 in folder = 79 in crawler??

I also appear to have hit a limit of 100 pictures, crawler does not register 101, 102 etc even if they're known 'good' ones, though this is up from the 69 that registered from my original folder.

The pictures that do not register vary in origin, some are my screenshots (bmp's) taken in game which are odd as some work some don't. Other pictures (jpg's) I sourced from the web from sites that do images especially for multimonitor setups, again odd as some work some don't and then some are from photo websites, these almost all don't work. Are there resolutions or file sizes Multiwall can't handle.

Auto cycle still doesn't work even on the 'clean' folder apart from on system restart :( , I direct Auto cycle to a local folder not any url knowingly I have not touched the Multiwall/Reddit?Microsoft buttons in Crawler though I do have some green thumbs against pictures in the wallpaper tab, these don't appear in my local folder or in the autocycle when it cycles.
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

Hey Sumarianhaze,

I have released a fix for the multiple app instance issue you had a suggestion for, thanks for that, hopefully that helps out a whole bunch of folks.

Regarding the crawler, it does its best to crawl the images, It cant guarantee that all images will work, perhaps I could still keep it in the crawl history but display the reason why it wont load...

There is a limit on the crawler to 100 images, but it should be shortlisting to 100 AFTER sorting by date (newest first).

If you can share some of your problem images, I can see as to why they aren't loading.

AFAIK there are no resolutions or filesizes that multiwall will not try, but your ram is a big limiter in the case of very very large single wallpapers, with a few gb of ram though, you should be alright for relatively large wallpaper.

Auto-cycle not working on your clean folder is concerning and highly on-topic. Please make sure your running the newest build, I may have not updated the website correctly in the case of build 21 and 22 and the 'latest' download link, so please install 23 and try again.
Sumarianhaze

Post by Sumarianhaze »

Hi Sumo,

just loaded your update, nice work, it makes accessing the Multiwall control panel so much less of a hassle :D I presume I'm on build 23 if I've loaded that?

I have 8Gb of ram so would not have thought that was an issue, I'll upload some images to Dropbox and send you the link over the weekend so you get the actual files I'm having an issue with.

Thanks for your quick response, keep up the good work.
sumo
Site Admin

Post by sumo »

Yes build 23+.

8gb of ram should be plenty, did a quick search, I think the app might be hitting a 32bit limit, perhaps its time to provide a 64bit executable so more ram can be addressed.

I await your dropbox link :D
Sumarianhaze

Post by Sumarianhaze »

Hi Sumo

Wow fast work!! Installed 64 bit version today, Crawler auto cycle is now working and the timer counts down to next change.

The screen is still blank when in auto mode, pictures are displayed when cycle turned off and world icon is ticked, some 'bad' pictures now working, ie the my own screenshots, the 'bad' downloaded ones are still not registering, Dropbox link here

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/jbdtpzitixhar4e/qQ1LloEfZq

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/9uvq2fzltb0n8kf/p1HOzUq_Ei

second link has two multimonitor pictures, some from that source work, these don't.

Thanks again.
Last edited by Sumarianhaze on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.